Friday, September 19, 2008

Undying Love

Death is a crazy thing. It emits so many emotions from so many people. Some people react sad while others hide how they feel and "deal" with it internally. I say these things because everyday in my commute I pass by a pretty large cemetary in Gastonia, NC. About two months ago a person was buried fairly close to the street and this location allowed me to observe their graveside in passing. Right after the burial an older gentleman began sitting by this graveside. For almost TWO WEEKS straight I watched him daily sit in his chair (yes he took his own chair) and just sit right beside this grave! I had thoughts to myself like "Wow he must have really loved her" and "Man he must be really sad and alone to just sit there". I assume that this was his spouse but I guess it could have been a child, a friend or just about anybody. Slowly over the weeks he taperd off his visits and I rarely saw him. I still look daily to see if he will be there and two days this week he was back. Just sitting. Just watching. Spending time with this person that he must have loved oh so much!

This is where my mind starting racing and I began to wonder. How many people will be stricken with grief if I were to die? And how many of them would come and just sit with my body after I was gone? I wonder if Tony would come and sit and if our love is the undying love that this man obviously felt for this person that he lost. I have on many occasions almost turned the car around to go and speak to this man. Then I think, he is with that person alone because he wants to visit them and their memories, not some crazy stalker woman joining the two of them. A love that never wants to let go, but no matter how much he tries or sits or waits, he will never bring that person back. I guess that's why God gives us the days that he does give us. So that we can create that love while we are alive.

No comments: